Nairobi Senator Mike Sonko has said his bitterness and feud with Governor hopeful Peter Kenneth is personal.
He says this emanated from the 2013 general election where Kenneth did not back President Uhuru Kenyatta.
Kenneth at that time contested the presidency through the Kenya National Congress party, emerging fourth.
In an interview with Citizen TV on Sunday, Sonko said he will not step down in favour of the former Gatanga MP.
The latter is being fronted to fight it out with Governor Evans Kidero of ODM under the Jubilee Party ticket.
Sonko has also expressed interest in the seat, and presented his nomination papers for the same on Friday last week.
Former Starehe MP Margaret Wanjiru also presented her papers for clearance to vie through JP.
"I have a lot of bitterness with this guy. He should have a rally and apologise to me, Mama Ngina Kenyatta, and my wife for the tears we shed," Sonko said.
"I am not going to accept Kenneth as my running mate or to be his deputy. Let him feel our pain in 2013 when he did not support President Uhuru Kenyatta."
The legislator said he is also not ready for boardroom negotiations over the JP ticket.
Sonko has on many instances criticised Kenneth for joining the Nairobi governor race, referring to the latter as a 'foreigner'.
The senator, who was visibly agitated during the interview, said JP will not allow power brokers to blackmail the president ahead of the August 8 polls.
"I will do anything to safeguard Uhuru’s presidency. We will not accept this guy....I will fight you to the end," Sonko said.
"Why should we have politicians who have already been rejected by the people?" he asked.
"But let them know that the dark days are over, where politicians were intimidated by so-called ‘powerful individuals."
Sonko further said he cannot criticise the government over the 'resistance' towards his application for a certificate of good conduct.
Last week, Sonko complained of being frustrated by the DCI in his quest to be issued with the document - one of the requirements for nominations.
On Thursday, he alleged a plot by Jubilee to lock him out of the primaries.
"People fighting me are within the government and I cannot criticise it. I will not allow any nonsense. We know the distance we have gone through," he said.
Sonko accused Interior PS Karanja Kibicho of giving directives to DCI officers so that he is denied the certificate.
"He is the one who told the detectives not to release my certificate of good conduct. He can go to hell," Sonko said during the interview.
"I will die with Uhuru. I will fight these people internally. I will cane them one by one. I will not leave my president," he said.
Sonko, who vowed to win the Nairobi JP nominations, said issues being raised over his academic certificates can be verified by the relevant bodies.
"I will not lose the ticket. I used to be the biggest thief...those who claim they will steal the election should know that their politics have been overtaken by events."
"I am as clean as an angel. I was cleared to vie in Makadara, why the hurdles now?" he asked.
On March 5, the former Gatanga MP told off Sonko for "epic hooliganism" and "gangster politics".
Kenneth said he and Sonko are not in the same competition.
"A lot of times we get provoked and people say, Why don't you respond? Why don't you react? And I keep saying, if we react to foolish acts, people will not notice the difference. We will confuse the fraternity more," Kenneth said.
Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya. Note that:
- Unwarranted personal abuse and defamatory statements will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.