Surprise SportPesa Premier League leaders Nzoia United will be hunting for another huge scalp when they take on Mathare United hot on the heels of their memorable 5-2 triumph over champions Tusker.
The opening day victory put the side coached by Bernard Mwalala on a pedestal and they will be keen to remain there with another heroic display against the former champions.
Mathare too covered themselves in glory by emerging on the winning side of a five-goal blitz against Thika United making this afternoon's encounter a possible goal fest for their fans.
Chemelil Sugar picked up an impressive win in their first league match of 2017 and will be hoping to uphold that pattern when they host Kakamega Homeboyz, who will be playing their first match of the season.
Posta Rangers host Bandari with both sides boasting similar 1-0 victories from their opening matches.
For a second successive weekend, a newly promoted side, Zoo Kericho stand in the path of Gor Mahia and three points when the two sides battle it out in Kisumu.
Gor launched their campaign on a winning note by dispatching Kariobangi Sharks last weekend and coach Ze Maria will be confident of getting more of the same mentality from his charges
“We are not getting carried away by our win against Sharks. They are new in the league and it was a match we were expected to win. We hope to continue in the same way against Zoo,” said K’Ogalo’s Brazilian coach after seeing his team rewarded with a cash incentive of Sh190,000 from lottery partners Goma Lotto.
Zoo were unlucky not to get a point in their maiden match in the top flight league losing by a lone goal to Posta Rangers but will be looking to the heavens to get anything from this clash.
This time last year, Muhoroni Youth were basking in the glory of being seen as title dark horses as they had started the league in rip-roaring action. Twelve months later they begin the campaign having only been redeemed by the Sports Disputes Tribunal after they had been demoted ostensibly for failing to adhere to the Confederation of African Football Club Licensing Rules.
Now with the lifeline, the team coached by experienced tactician Juma Abdalla must get their house in order as they play host to a wounded Sharks side tomorrow. Also beneficiaries of the Tribunal ruling are Sofapaka, who will entertain Sony Sugar in Nakuru while AFC Leopards kick start their campaign with a tricky tie against Nakumatt in Thika, the venue of tomorrow's first match pitting hosts Thika United against flailing champions tusker
SportPesa Premier League round two fixtures:
Today: Gor Mahia v Zoo (Moi Stadium, 2pm), Chemelil Sugar v Homeboyz (Chemelil Stadium, 3pm), Nzoia v Mathare (Sudi Stadium, 3pm), Posta v Bandari (Thika Stadium, 3pm)
Tomorrow: Thika v Tusker (Thika Stadium, 2pm), Nakumatt v AFC Leopards (Thika Stadium, 4.15pm), Muhoroni v Kariobangi (Muhoroni Stadium, 3pm), Sofapaka v Sony (Afraha Stadium, 3.45pm)
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.