School lessons were unexpectedly interrupted when one of the stars of the hit TV series Tahidi High paid a surprise visit to Melon Mission in Nakuru.
Geoffrey Githea, who plays the role of Teacher Karimi in the popular Citizen TV programme, spent almost the entire morning at Melon Mission, a non-governmental haven for over 450 destitute children.
During his visit, Githea gave pupils a series of inspirational talks, stressing the need to get a good education, learning English for skills in business and to stay away from the dangers of alcohol and drugs.
“I was certainly impressed with the set up at Melon Mission and its very well behaved pupils”, said Githea.
“These hard working boys and girls are an important part of our future, and at Melon Mission they have created a caring and very positive environment for these young people who have not had the easiest start in life, to say the least. Melon Mission set an excellent example in education that we Kenyans should be proud of”, he added.
Githea’s appearance at the school, which was greeted with initial shock then huge enthusiasm by the pupils, came about after a meeting with a volunteer from the UK-based Younique Travel Adventures, which supports Melon Mission.
“It was a memorable day for the school, a wonderful treat for our pupils and for our staff. Geoffrey Githea is a tremendous role model. He spoke from the heart, inspiring our children to place a very high value on their education. We are extremely grateful to him and also Younique Travel Adventures for their tireless support”, commented James Kagema, Executive Director of Melon Mission.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.