Luo Council of Elders chairman Willis Otondi has criticised elders who endorse aspirants for pay. Luo and Kisii aspirants are scrambling to be endorsed and installed as ‘elders’. Otondi said “whatever is going on is very wrong”.
“These political endorsements are a disgrace to our dignity because the people being endorsed are not even good leaders. It is all about who has a lot of money and can influence the community,” he said.
Otondi said the elders should let the voters make their own decisions. He, however, led elders in endorsing Cord leader Raila Odinga recently.
Political science lecturer at Maseno University Tom Mboya said coronation and installation of aspirants is sold to “the highest bidder”.
“We expect to see more endorsements as we head to the general election, but these elders have legitimacy issues,” he said.
Mboya said the elders do not have the constituents’ interests at heart. On Saturday, some elders from Suba endorsed businessman Sammy Wakiaga to face off with Homa Bay Governor Cyprian Awiti.
In Nyamira county, separate groups of elders endorsed North Mugirango MP Charles Geni and his rival Joash Nyamoko.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.