Al Shabaab terrorists chopped off the heads of the six people they killed in an attack in Mandera on Thursday, a resident has said.
The teacher who lives near the attacked residential plot at Bulla public works said it was traumatising to watch.
"The non-locals were gunned down mercilessly and their heads chopped off and smashed by grenades," he told the Star.
"I do not know how to say it better. I am psychologically bullied."
The terrorists raided the plot with about 33 non-locals at about 2am, as they slept.
Kenya Red Cross workers stand near dead bodies after an attack by Islamist militants from the Somali group al Shabaab in Mandera, Kenya, October 6, 2016. REUTERS
Al Shabaab confirmed it carried out the attack near the border with Somalia.
"We are behind the Mandera attack in which we killed six Christians," military operations spokesman Sheikh Abdiasis Musab told Reuters.
He added they also hit a police vehicle using a roadside bomb.
Mandera Governor Ali Roba condemned the incident in a post on Twitter.
"We have suffered another sad attack," Roba wrote, adding six people had been confirmed killed.
"If not for the quick response by our security forces we would be talking of many more casualties," he said.
"From the nature and style of the attack, it would obviously be al Shabaab."
More on this: Six killed in Mandera al Shabaab attack
Police officers in Mandera following an ambush by al Shabaab militants at a residential plot at Bulla public works, October 5, 2016. /COURTESY
Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya. Note that:
- Unwarranted personal abuse and defamatory statements will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.