Maseno University lost computers and crucial documents after a fire razed the school of health offices on Saturday at dawn.
Kisumu county commander Titus Yoma told the Star that the cause of the fire which started at 2am is yet to be established.
He said investigations are underway to ascertain the circumstances under which the block was razed.
"There were no injuries in the fire but office equipment such as computers were burnt," he said.
Yoma said the fire should not be linked to the forthcoming student elections at the university.
Campaigns have intensified at the varsity as students prepare to elect new officials.
More than 7,000 students are expected to vote for the candidates of their choice in the 2016/2017 elections for the Student Organisation of Maseno University (SOMU).
The management has already cleared candidates vying for various positions.
Last year, the university was closed indefinitely after riots marred the election of SOMU officials.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.