Moi University students on Wednesday condemned protests by North Rift politicians against the appointment of acting vice-chancellor Prof Laban Ayiro.
The group, who are members of the varsity's Nairobi campus student union, said it was wrong for Uasin Gishu governor Jackson Mandago to lead protests against Prof Ayiro.
Ayiro was appointed by Education CS Fred Matiang'i as acting VC of Moi University on Monday, September 19.
Through their chairman Edwin Kigoli, they said the governor and the MPs contravened Article 10 of the Constitution of Kenya.
The supreme law outlines equity, social values, non-discrimination, human rights, equality as some of the national values that citizens should embrace.
He said the action of the leaders hinders the progress and unity of the nation, adding that leaders must embrace national cohesion and integration.
"We will not allow anybody to take us back to the dark days of ethnic profiling," Kigoli said.
They said that the appointment of the new VC to be based purely on merit and not reserved for a particular community.
"The leader's action was unconstitutional. National leaders must embrace Chapter 6 of the Constitution on Leadership and Integrity," Kigoli said.
The student leaders, who asked the government to solve the row, also urged their colleagues to embrace national unity.
Kigoli said that they will go to the main campus to engage other student leaders on the way forward on the matter.
"It doesn’t matter who the VC is or what he looks as long as he or she has resolved to work hard and be focused," Kigoli said.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.