Skip to main content
Sunday, May 28, 2017

Student unrest yet to be resolved as three more school dormitories burn

Some of the items that burned in the fire that razed one of the dormitories of Mitamboni Boys Secondary School in a file photo. Student unrest across the country remains unresolved as more school dormitories burn. Photo/ANDREW MBUVA
Some of the items that burned in the fire that razed one of the dormitories of Mitamboni Boys Secondary School in a file photo. Student unrest across the country remains unresolved as more school dormitories burn. Photo/ANDREW MBUVA

Hundreds of students continue to lose their belongings and accommodation as school fire incidents continue in various parts of the country on Tuesday and Wednesday.

At Elburgon Secondary School in Nakuru County, dormitories that houses about 300 students from form one to four were razed on Wednesday morning.

Students, who were in class for morning preps at the time, were unable to salvage items.

Molo MP Jacob Macharia condoled with the school and promised to support them get beddings.

Area AP subcounty commander, Joseph Mwangi, told the star that police have launched investigations into the matter.

But security intelligence indicates that the incident may have been well-planned and may have involved students from a nearby rival school.

An officer who sought anonymity said the students, also linked to a fire incident at their own school, are the key suspects.

The school’s Principal declined to address press at the school compound.

Other schools that have been razed down at the County include Rongai Boys, Michinda and Kirobon Boys Secondary Schools.

In Keiyo south, Elgeyo Marakwet county, a dormitory in Emsea secondary school was gutted by an inferno on Tuesday night, five days after another dormitory at Cheptulon Girl’s secondary school in the county, went up in flames.

It is unclear what caused the fire.

County police commander Sharrif Abdallah has said no property was salvaged during the 8pm incident.

Abdallah said none of the 100 students was injured as they were in their classrooms for evening preps.

He said 18 boys in the school had been suspended two weeks ago after following intelligence reports that they were planning to burn down the dormitory.

Abdallah said a team of investigators have been dispatched to the school to ascertain the cause of the fire.

Kisii county, which has been adversely affected by incidents of school unrest, also reported another incident at Nyaguta Mixed Secondary school in Nyaribari Chache at 11am on Wednesday.

A boy's dormitory was razed.

Nyaguta , becomes the 18th school in the county to be set ablaze within a period of five months after 17 others.

Kisii deputy Director of Education Charles Nyaribo who visited the institution said that they have no option but to close it because the dormitory was extensively damaged.

Nyaribo said that a team of investigators and officer from public works had arrived at to sample evidence and assess the damage.

“We have no option but to send the students at home. A team of investigators and officer from the public works are on the ground to gather evidence and access the damage caused,” Nyaribao said.




Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya. Note that:
  • Unwarranted personal abuse and defamatory statements will be deleted.
  • Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
  • Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
Poll of the day