Skip to main content
Thursday, July 27, 2017

Huruma death toll rises to 51

Kenya Defense Forces bulldozer continues to pull some of the rubles at a collapsed building in Huruma slum. photo/PATRICK VIDIJA
Kenya Defense Forces bulldozer continues to pull some of the rubles at a collapsed building in Huruma slum. photo/PATRICK VIDIJA

The death toll from the collapsed building in Huruma has risen to 51 after two more people died on Sunday while receiving treatment at Kenyatta National Hospital.

Deputy Director National Disaster Management Unit Pius Masai said 19 people are still missing.

So far 13 bodies have been identified at the City Mortuary, nine days after the building collapsed.

Speaking to the Star on phone Masai said that though the rescue operation had come to an end, the site was still cordoned off.

" We suspect that some of the victims might have drowned in Nairobi river, while trying to escape "

The building collapsed on Friday, 29th April following heavy downpour in the capital.

Preliminary investigations indicated that the building was established on a weak foundation.

The building had 198 rooms.

Only five people were pulled out alive under the rubble last week.

Among the five, was a seven month old baby, who was the first to be rescued after being under the rubble for 72 hours.

Five suspects linked to the building appeared in court last Wednesday and were released on a Sh1 million bond each.

Brothers Samuel Kamau and Henry Muiruri, Crispus Ndinyo, Justus Kathenge and Seline Ogallo were not charged.

The brothers are the suspected owners of the building.


Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya. Note that:
  • Unwarranted personal abuse and defamatory statements will be deleted.
  • Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
  • Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
Poll of the day