Cord leader Raila Odinga wants to marshal the opposition to forcibly reclaim the disputed Migingo Island from the Ugandan government.
He said the decision was prompted by President Uhuru Kenyatta’s “failure” to reposses the island, which a colonial map shows is in Kenya.
“Things are not given on a silver platter, but taken forcefully,” Raila said yesterday in Luo.
He was speaking at Bondo town after attending the burial of Tom Ogutu, father of KTN anchor Linda Ogutu.
This comes a few days after Gem MP Jakoyo Midiwo asked the government to deploy military personnel on the island and other in Lake Victoria boundaries.
He says they must protect Kenyans from harassment by forces from neighboring countries.
Midiwo gave the government one week to deploy the military or residents will form vigilante groups to protect themselves.
He warned that the disgruntled res- will arm themselves with crude weapons for protection if the government fails to heed to their calls.
Midiwo said Kenyans on Migingo island have encountered brutality at the hands of Ugandan forces for a long time.
Raila urged the public to seize the opportunity if the mass voter listing is extended and register as voters.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.