Two children who ate spoilt food on Sunday have died in drought-stricken Murtena village, Pokot south constituency.
Two others and two men are hospitalised with food poisoning at Chepareria Health Centre.
“We had visitors in our church on Saturday where the food was prepared. My neighbour packed some of it in a polythene bag and took it to her house. On Sunday, my children went to play in the homestead where they ate the food,” Susan Lorilema said.
She is the mother of all four children.
Lorilema said after two hours her children started complaining of stomach upsets.
“It was late so I decided to wait until morning before taking them to hospital. Two were pronounced dead on arrival at Chepkobe dispensary,” mother of seven said at the health centre.
The two were aged three and eight.
Speaking yesterday at the burial of the children, nominated MCA Teresa Lokichu blamed the deaths on lack of food.
She said the region suffered total crop failure and many residents go for days without food.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.