The beautification of Uhuru Highway has won the Best Landscaping Project award at this year's Architectural Association of Kenya excellence awards.
The project which attracted ridicule at first for the slow-growing grass, was started shortly before the visit of US President Barack Obama last July.
However last in the awards held Thursday, it beat the Machakos People's Park- a landscaping project of the Machakos County- to emerge winner.
Other winners at the event which was co-hosted by Basco Paints were architects Space and Systems, the designers of the iconic Don Bosco Catholic Church located at Nairobi's Upper Hill.
Naivasha's Enashipai Resort and Spa, designed by Dimensions Architects and Interior Designers was named the best hospitality project.
Lamu Apartments won in the best residential building category. The apartments were designed by Urko Sanchez Architects.
Kenya Commercial Bank's upcoming headquarters in Upper Hill won the best commercial building project. It was designed by Plannig Systems Services and is being constructed by China Wu Yi. Planning Systems Services was also feted in the best educational building project for the Braeburn School premises in Garden Estate.
The best renovation project award went to Triad Architects for the Nairobi National Museum facelift.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.