Fresh off their success at the Grammy Awards, Morgan Heritage reveal that they are working on starting a studio in Nairobi.
The reggae royalty won a Grammy for Best Reggae Album. They now plan to set up shop in Kenya and weave more musical magic here.
"We are working with executives in Nairobi and Tanzania to make this thing a reality. It is coming along really nice. We have a great team of people we are working with and we look forward to some of Africa's most promising talent," Mojo Morgan told Word Is in a phone interview.
The location for the studio hasn't been confirmed yet. "We are working on the logistics. The first thing that is important is to make sure we have the right team of people behind it. So when we do break ground we will know that we chose the right location. We are basically bringing what we have built in Jamaica to Africa."
So do they hope to one day buy land, build and settle here?
"Yeah, definitely," Mojo said. "My brother Gramps does farming so he is looking into acquiring some land to grow his products for his Gramps Morgan Farms and his jerk barbecue sauce. With us living in Africa and buying land is a must. It is just a matter of time. We are not in a rush, we are not going to run in and make grand announcements about what we are doing, we are just happy to be here."
They are working on an African tour that will hit major towns across the continent.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.