Content being distributed online by Netflix is immoral, the Kenya Film Classification Board has said.
This comes two weeks after the US-based internet streaming TV rolled out its services globally in more than 130 countries, including Kenya.
In a press briefing yesterday, KFCB chairman Jackson Kosgei said the film content being streamed by the provider fails to conform to national values, ratings, and classifications regulations. “The board notes with great concern that the films being circulated on Netflix’s platforms are classified and rated on the basis of guidelines enforced in other jurisdictions, and which are totally at odds with Kenya’s regulatory standards,” Kosgei said.
“The pornography, child prostitution and massive violence themes in some of the movies threaten our moral values.”
He said some of the movies sampled from the network have ratings of suitability for 13-year-old, yet they contain classifiable elements such as extreme violence, nudity, promotion of irresponsible sexual behaviours, inappropriate language and drug abuse.
Kosgei said Kenya cannot be a passive recipient of foreign content that corrupt moral values of children and compromise security.
“Netflix is a not a religion that comes with dogmas but it is a businesses that must conform to recipient country’s laws,” he said.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.