Skip to main content
Friday, June 24, 2016

Two foreigners arrested with Sh112 billion in fake dollars, Euros in Nairobi

Fake currency recovered following an operation against Cameroonian Ousman Bako and Mohammed Sani alias Mustafa from Niger, who have been linked to a transnational counterfeit hard currency ring. Photo/COLLINS KWEYU
Fake currency recovered following an operation against Cameroonian Ousman Bako and Mohammed Sani alias Mustafa from Niger, who have been linked to a transnational counterfeit hard currency ring. Photo/COLLINS KWEYU

Two foreigners believed to be linked to a transnational counterfeit hard currency ring have been arrested and arraigned in court.

IG Joseph Boinnet said Cameroonian Ousman Bako and Mohammed Sani alias Mustafa from Niger, had been fleecing people in and outside Kenya of "colossal sums of money".

"We believe these are the kingpins behind printing money in exchange of dollars which turn out to be fake," Boinnet said in a statement on Monday.

Boinnet said the arrest followed the receipt of an intelligence report indicating several people had been conned of more than Sh40 million in exchange of foreign currency shipped from Syria.

He said CID officers carried out operations that led to the recovery of $693 million (Sh71 billion) and 369 million Euros (Sh41 billion).

"Money-printing machines, money cutters, scanners, five safes, two computers, chemicals, masks and foil paper were also found," he said.

Boinnet said the government will not let foreigners engage in criminal activities by taking advantage of Kenyans' hospitality.

"We have in the past received a complaint from the government of Comoros that certain foreign individuals staying in Kenya are manufacturing fake currencies and circulating it in the economy," he noted.

Regarding the terror assault on Kenya Defence Forces soldiers in Somalia, the IG said those abusing media freedom by spreading images that glorify the militants will be dealt with firmly.

"We have persons of interest that will soon appear before court to answer to the offences. The protection and defence of our country is the responsibility of all of us," he said.

"We call upon the media to discharge their duties with responsibility and not become unwitting voices of terrorist groups."

Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph Nkaissery's also warned against the posting of graphic images of the attack.

Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya. Note that:

  • Unwarranted personal abuse and defamatory statements will be deleted.
  • Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
  • Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
Poll of the day